HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The PG & Research Department of Economics is a pioneer and distinguished department of A.D.M. College for women. It was started in the year 1975 with a Pre- University Course. B.A. Economics course was started in the year 1978. This department occupies a prominent place in the record of its academic history right from its inception 1975.
P.G. Course was started in the academic year 1983-84. The department has become a Research Department by introducing M.Phil., in Economics during the year 2002-2003. Ph.D in Economics was started during the year 2008-09.This Department was recognized as a Research centre from the academic year 2011-12. The department has many achievements to its credit. The dedicated band of teachers rendering their service for the cause of women’s education and empowerment.
- Conducted Three UGC sponsored National Seminar.
- Seven Minor Research Projects have been completed.
- Produced M.Phil Scholars in various universities
- Published articles in reputed Journals.
- Conducted certificate course in Fashion Technology-a career oriented programme.
- Undertaken Extension activities for unemployment women- Arts and Craft.
- MOU with M.S Swaminathan Research and Foundation, Fish all Research and Training centre, Poombuhar, Nagaapttinam Conducted.
- Conducted Short-term Certificate course for other major students (Basic of Economics)
- Conducting Value Added course (Economics of Insurance)
- To make students into “ Empowered Women” in Society
- To make the students to become eligible for placements
- To increase skills for employment
- Consistent and efficient practice by using modern technology in teaching.
- Teaching to expertise knowledge and to have higher level of understanding.
- To encourage students and staff members to present papers in national and international seminars.
- To provide students a well founded education in Economics.
- To provide structural curricula which support the academic development of Students.
- To provide and adapt curricula that prepares our graduates for employment and further studies in Economics.
- To provide the students with the opportunities to pursue courses that emphasizes quantitative and theoretical aspects of Economics.
- To provide well resourced learning environment for Economics.
- To become ethical persons who think like economists and serve the society.
- To be provided with Structured syllabi which support the academic development of them.
- To graduate for employment and further studies in Economics.
- To be provided well resourced learning environment for Economics.
- To be equipped with the opportunities to apply economic principles in policy issues of the Economy
The M.Phil scholars will be able :
- To understand important economic issues
- To enrich research knowledge
- To develop teaching and learning skills in Economics
- To acquire research attitude
- To obtain the application of statistical tools in Economics